Monday, January 25, 2010

The Happiest Mommy on the Block

Sleep deprivation's the name of the game and no matter how hard you tap your heels, how much magic fairy dust you have, how long you pray, or how many angels you call upon, at the end of the day the results the same; hardly a trip to dreamsville.

With a hopeful attempt to find more zzzz's mommy decided to try and disprove that the introduction of rice cereal to elongate sleep through the night is simply a myth.

With a little love, and a lot of hope, I mixed up some rice cereal and breast milk and anxiously waited.

And Kaylie, she dove right in! One spoonful after the next. All those longing looks of curiosity, and drools in awe of the wonderful sight, and delicious aroma of food were finally satisfied. ...as satisfying as rice cereal can possibly be.

  100_3968 100_3962

And mommy went to bed Very excited about the possibility of more sleep, and as I settled in, nestled between the sheets, the evening went a little like this:

9:45 pm:  "waa...waaa"

11:00pm:  "waa...waaaa"

1:30 am:  "waa....waaaaaaa"

3:00 am:  "waa....waaaaaaaaa"

4:00 am:  "waa...waaaaaaaaaaa"

5:30 am: "waa.....waaaaaaaaaaaa"

not all for feedings of course, but just  courtesy checks from Kaylie to make sure I was close by and paying plenty of attention to all her needs.

The end result, a very tired mommy and a satisfied curiosity that yes, introduction of rice cereal does not improve sleep.  Just as the experts say, it's simply a myth.

 

And then suddenly, the very next night, the magic fairy dust, the tapping of heels, the calling upon sleeping angels, the prayers, they all worked. Just like that. She became a sleeper!

(Not an expert by any means, but a giant leap in the right direction.)

As for me, I am the Happiest Mommy on the Block!

Welcome back beautiful dreams.

 

 100_3969

Aren't they adorable!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the cereal. It always seemed to work with my girls. Are we a little spoiled already? I love keeping in touch with your family through your blog. You do such a nice job. I will add a prayer for sleep too.

    Love, Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete